Ziwa Rhino Trekking and Wildlife Ranch in Uganda
Discover Ziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch: A Haven for Rhino Trekking and Wildlife Safaris in Uganda
Explore the Thrills of Ziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch in Uganda
Discover the Only Wild Rhinos in Uganda!
At Ziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch, witness the majestic rhinos in their natural habitat – a unique experience exclusive to this sanctuary in Uganda.
Embark on a Rhino Trekking Safari:
Rhino Trekking is a highlight for visitors, ideal for those journeying to or from Murchison Falls National Park. Break up the drive with an unforgettable encounter with these magnificent creatures.
Stay and Explore Choose between a half-day or full-day stay at Amuka Lodge, nestled within the vast 7,000-hectare grounds of Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary. Immerse yourself in the beauty and serenity of nature.
More Than Just Rhinos
- Guided Nature and Birding Walks: Delve into the lush surroundings with expert-guided walks.
- Nocturnal Walks: Experience the sanctuary under the stars and meet the nocturnal wildlife.
- Boating in Lugogo Swamp: Glide through the waters and spot diverse waterbirds, including the renowned Shoebill.
Ziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch: A Legacy of Conservation
From Cattle Ranch to Rhino Haven
- Beginnings: The journey of Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary began in 1983, originally known as Ziwa Ranch. This cattle ranch, owned by Captain Roy and his family, housed 7,000 exotic cattle.
- Transformation: In a significant shift, Captain Roy dedicated his land to the Uganda Rhino Repopulation Project. This meant relocating the cattle to pave the way for a greater cause – rhino conservation.
A Collaborative Effort for Rhino Reintroduction
- Partnership: The transformation of Ziwa into a rhino sanctuary was a collaborative project between Rhino Fund Uganda and the Roy family.
- Growth: Starting with six southern white rhinos in 2006, the sanctuary proudly hosts 41 rhinos (January 2024), thanks to the successful breeding program.
Ziwa Today: Uganda’s Rhino-Watching Hotspot
- Unique Experience: Ziwa stands as the only place in Uganda to see rhinos in their natural habitat.
- Diverse Activities: The sanctuary attracts tourists for various activities, including:
- Rhino Trekking
- Shoebill Trek and Canoe Ride
- Bird Watching
- Night Walks
- Nature Walks
- Stay in Comfort: Visitors can also enjoy a relaxing stay at Amuka Lodge or the budget Ziwa Rhino Guesthouse, experiencing the tranquility of the sanctuary.
Experience On-Foot Rhino Trekking at Ziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch
Journey Through the Rhino’s Realm
- A Resurrected Habitat: Once home to rhinos before a period of heavy poaching, Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary has now been revived as a safe haven for these magnificent creatures.
- Footsteps Among Giants: Embark on an exhilarating trek to track the southern white rhinos on foot. You’ll be in the capable hands of well-trained Uganda Wildlife Rangers, guiding you to where the rhinos roam.
Close Encounters in the Wild
- From Drive to Trek: The adventure starts with a drive across the sanctuary’s 7,000 hectares in a Lifetime Experience Safaris vehicle, followed by an immersive bush trek to reach the rhinos.
- Witness Rhino Majesty: In this natural setting, observe the endangered rhinos up close, a truly unforgettable experience.
Discover More Wildlife
- Beyond Rhinos: Your trek might also reveal other wildlife species like Uganda Kobs, oribis, bushbucks, waterbucks, and an array of bird species.
Discover More Adventures at Ziwa Rhinos Ranch
While Rhino Trekking is a star attraction, Ziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch offers a host of other exciting safari activities:
1. Wildlife and Bird-Watching Nature Walks
- Diverse Ecosystem: Explore the sanctuary’s rich biodiversity on guided nature walks. Spot a variety of birds, amphibians, reptiles, and mammals in their natural habitat.
2. Nocturnal Walks
- Night-time Wonders: Experience the sanctuary after dark. Nocturnal walks give you a chance to see the different behaviors of wildlife under the cover of night.
3. Boat Exploration of Lugogo Swamp
- A Wetland Wonderland: Covering about 30 hectares, Lugogo Swamp is a thriving wetland within the sanctuary.
- Home to Unique Species: This swamp is a vital habitat for numerous species, including the iconic Shoebill, papyrus yellow warbler, sitatunga antelope, and rare swamp otters.
- Shoebill Spotting: Recognized as one of the best places to see Shoebill storks, Lugogo Swamp offers remarkable opportunities for bird enthusiasts.
4. Canoe Ride Adventures
- Sunrise and Sunset Tours: Set off early at 6:00 am for a canoe ride to catch the breathtaking Ugandan sunrise and the elusive Shoebill. Alternatively, enjoy a serene canoe ride towards sunset, surrounded by an abundance of waterbirds.
- Birding Paradise: This activity is a must-do for nature lovers and birding enthusiasts.
Stay at Amuka Lodge
- Ideal Location: Nestled in the heart of Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary, Amuka Lodge is the perfect base for your adventures. Note that early morning activities require an overnight stay, as the sanctuary opens at 07:30.
Birding Walks at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
A Birder’s Paradise
- Diverse Avian Life: Home to over 300 bird species, the sanctuary is a dream destination for bird enthusiasts.
- Explore Four Trails: Traverse through woodlands, swamps, and savannahs on four distinct bird trails.
- Expert Guides: Benefit from the expertise of excellent birding guides for an unforgettable bird-watching experience.
- Wildlife Encounters: Alongside birds, you might spot other wildlife residing in the sanctuary.
Plan Your Birding Adventure
- Duration: Allocate at least two hours in the morning or late afternoon for the walk.
- Essentials: Wear closed shoes and long pants, and bring water and insect repellent.
- Stay at Amuka Lodge: Enhance your experience by spending a night at Amuka Lodge, ideally situated for birding enthusiasts.
Guided Nature Walks at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
Immerse in the Wilderness
- Diverse Ecosystem: Discover a variety of wildlife including bushbuck, gray duiker, oribi, waterbuck, reedbuck, hartebeest, mongoose, ground squirrels, vervet monkeys, and black and white Colobus.
- Reptile Sightings: Encounter giant monitor lizards and other fascinating reptiles.
- Insects and Butterflies: Observe a myriad of butterflies and intriguing insects.
- Guided Exploration: Accompanied by a well-trained guide, delve into the lush bush for an unpredictable and exciting journey.
Nature Walk Insights
- Educational Experience: Guides provide valuable insights into the animals, botany, and vegetation, making it a learning adventure.
- Best Times: Early mornings or late afternoons are ideal.
- Duration: Spend two to three hours to fully enjoy the experience.
- What to Bring: Closed shoes, water, long pants, and insect repellent are essential.
Guided Nocturnal Walks at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
Discover the African Night
- A Nighttime Adventure: Experience the sanctuary’s wildlife after dark through guided night walks.
- Nocturnal Wildlife: An exceptional chance to see animals like bush babies, genets, and owls in their natural nocturnal habitat.
- Unique Sensory Experience: The African night sounds and the unseen wildlife create an unforgettable experience.
- Unexpected Encounters: With various nocturnal animals, each walk offers surprises – from leopards to warthogs.
- Exclusive in Uganda: The only night walk in the Savannah, guided by Uganda Wildlife Authority Rangers.
Plan Your Night Walk
- Timing: Available from 8 to 11 pm.
- Duration: Approximately 2½ hours.
- Necessities: Bring closed shoes, water, long pants, insect repellent, and a flashlight.
Stay at Amuka Safari Lodge in Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
Comfort and Adventure Combined
- Ideal Stopover: Located within Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary, Amuka Lodge is perfect for a break during a journey to Murchison Falls Park or Kidepo Valley Park.
- Lodging Options: Enjoy a comfortable stay in one of the tented cottages, complete with a swimming pool.
- Culinary Delights: The lodge is known for offering some of the best food experiences during a safari in Uganda.
- Support a Cause: Your stay contributes to the Rhino Fund Uganda, supporting the conservation efforts at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary.
Accessing Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
- Convenient Location: Break up the six-hour drive from Entebbe to Murchison Falls Park with a stop at Ziwa. Choose to stay overnight or enjoy a meal and track rhinos on foot.
Include Ziwa Rhino Trekking in Your Safari.
Interested in adding these unique experiences at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary to your safari itinerary? Let us know by using the form below!